The Pitchfork

Autumn Is FALLing Upon Us

What is your favorite thing to do during the fall?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Autumn Is FALLing Upon Us

Ashlyn Wages, junior, and Haylee Imbaratto, junior, join forces to give pumpkins creative new faces.

Photo Courtesy of Haylee Imbaratto

Photo Courtesy of Haylee Imbaratto

Photo Courtesy of Haylee Imbaratto

Karis Braddock, Editor-in-Cheif

The temperature outside starts to drop. The leaves that once clung to the branches are littering the ground. The sun comes up just to sink back down again. Fall is upon us, which means it’s time to bring out the fall traditions.

“[During the fall] I like to go to Sesqui[centennial Park] and take pictures of the trees and leaves and sometimes my dog,” Madisyn Boggan, senior, said.

Park Hours: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., daily

Office Hours: 11 a.m. – noon & 4-5 p.m., daily

Admission: $5 adults; $3.25 SC seniors (age 65 & older); $3 children ages 6-15; ages 5 and under, free.

Address: 9564 Two Notch RD Columbia, SC 29223

Pet Policy: Pets are allowed in most outdoor areas thought they must be kept under physical restraint or on a leash that is not longer than six feet

Contact:

There is no WIFI available within the park

Information from https://southcarolinaparks.com/sesqui

“I [enjoy going] to cheer competitions and watch[ing] football,” Haley Endres, sophomore, said.

• The regular season began on August 25, 2018 and is scheduled to end on December 8, 2018. The postseason will conclude on January 7, 2019 with the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
    • Gamecocks Schedule:
      • November 3: VS. Ole Miss @ Ole Miss
      • November 10: VS. Florida @ Florida
      • November 17: VS. Chattanooga @ Columbia
      • November 24: VS. Clemson @ Clemson
    • Clemson Schedule:
      • November 3: VS. Louisville @ Clemson
      • November 10: VS. Boston College @ Boston College
      • November 17: VS.  Duke @ Clemson
      • November 24: VS. Gamecocks @ Clemson

“My favorite thing to do during the fall is to go duck and deer hunting and fishing,” Tyie Mccoy, junior, said.

• No hunting or fishing license or permit is required until a person reaches age 16.  Those born after June 30, 1979 are required to complete a Hunter Education Course to purchase a hunting license. For information concerning Hunter Education, call 800-277-4301. Those whose privileges are suspended are not eligible to apply, hold, or use DNR licenses, permits, stamps or tags.
  • Prices for licenses vary based on the type of license and length of validity of the license. To purchase a residential license, you must be a permanent resident of the state of South Carolina. Proof of residency must be presented as well as your social security number. All licenses must be present when participating in hunting or fishing activities that require a license.
  • For more information regarding hunting and fishing in the state of South Carolina, visit the Department of Natural Resources’ website at http://www.dnr.sc.gov/

“My favorite fall thing is to be wrapped up in a blanket, drinking a [Starbucks] Frappuccino and watching Hallmark movies,” Braxton Bellamy, junior, said.

• Hallmark Channel will be showing “Countdown to Christmas” movies beginning October 26, 2018
  • Prices for Starbucks Frappuccinos vary based on your choice of flavor and size
    • Starbucks of Camden Hours:
      • Monday – Friday: 5:30 a.m.- 9:30 p.m.
      • Saturday – Sunday: 6 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
    • Starbucks of Sandhills Hours:
      • Monday – Friday: 5:00 a.m.- 10:30 p.m.
      • Saturday – Sunday: 5:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m.

“I like to watch football and have a bonfire [with my friends],” Noah Caulder, sophomore, said.

Fire Safety Tips (from Livingston Insurance Company)

• Clear the area of any debris. Any flammable objects near the area will easily burst into flames.
  • Properly extinguish your fire using water and sand. Hold your hand over the area to make sure you feel no heat.
  • Check wind direction before lighting the fire. Wind can easily carry an ember 100 yards from your fire pit.
  • Avoid using soft woods like pine or cedar because they can throw sparks and embers.
  • Keep a bucket of water next to the fire so you can easily extinguish your fire when you are done.
  • Call 9-1-1 as soon as the fire gets out of control. Don’t wait and try to put the fire out yourself for your safety as well as everyone around you.
  • Make sure to check with your local fire services department for additional tips and regulations.

Maddie Daigle, junior, and Abbie Vermillion, junior, were having a FAIRly good day. Photo Courtesy of Abbie Vermillion.