The Pitchfork

The Advertisement That Started a Riot

Damion Powell, Senior, soaks up the sun while flaunting his navy blue Nike shirt. Photo By: Leigha Crisp

Giordan Whitsett, Writer

The Advertisement That Started a Riot

Since the release of Nike’s newest campaign, endorsing Colin Kaepernick as their spokesperson, Nike has gotten much attention from civilians. Including young adults and teenagers around America. Prompting backlash in the media and causing angry Americans to fire back at Nike by burning Nike merchandise in protest to rebel against Nike’s support of Colin Kapernick and his beliefs.

Nike and Kaepernick caused an uproar in the news and media after Nike released their 30th anniversary “Just Do It” campaign, which showed Kaepernick and a quote that read, “Believe in something, Even if it means sacrificing everything.” This caused people around the world including students to either respect and like Kaepernick and Nike more or just down right not like them at all.

To begin with,there are students who don’t particularly like what Kaepernick did to protest. Students and some others feel that what he did by kneeling during the anthem was disrespectful to our military and even childish to some. He originally stated that he was kneeling during the national anthem to use his platform to bring awareness to the police brutality that was happening. Civilians, including students were outraged and confused at first as to why he was doing it according to CNN news.

“Kaepernick chose to protest during the national anthem since he did it by kneeling and not standing which I find disrespectful to all the forces that protect America since they put themselves on the line and risk their lives for us everyday and he didn’t stand for a minute to pay respect to the ones who have fought and who have fallen,” Jay Nesbitt, Sophomore, said.

There are students whose decision is impacted by others thoughts and opinions. This causes everything they say or do to be biased. Things such as their favorite singer, artist, athlete, political figure, etc. can impact a person’s choice.

The next thing that impacted people and students opinion on the subject in the media was the president. A lot of students nowadays are changed and influenced by what the president says in the media. For example, when players started kneeling with Kaepernick in 2016, Donald Trump went to Twitter to say, “Two dozen NFL players continue to kneel during the National Anthem, showing total disrespect to our Flag & Country.  No leadership in NFL!”

“I feel like its good and bad, because of the hate he’s getting and because he is standing up for what he believes and the bad part is that the president is getting involved as well which makes it hard on athletes when the president is going against you which causes others to not support you,” SyDarius Montgomery, freshman, said.

Lastly, there are the students who think Kaepernick inspired them and others by standing up for what he believes in. This is another impact that he has had on students.

Kaepernick went from being a star quarterback on the San Francisco 49ers in 2016 to being an unemployed free agent from 2017-18 to being one of the more recognized names in media as of this moment. This all started when Kaepernick wanted to protest the treatment of minorities. This also inspired many other athletes to post on social media about how they have his back and support his decisions as well to bring awareness to his cause.

“I feel inspired and motivated by what Kaepernick was kneeling over because he did what he believed in even if it meant him getting backlash and hate for standing up for it,” Natasha Martinez, freshman, said.

In the end, students feel differently about the subject whether its positive or negative. There was a poll conducted by CBS. The poll found that 84% of people feel that people support players’ right to protest, while 16% feel that players should be required to stand during the anthem. In that 84%, 49% felt like they should find another way to protest, while 35% feel like they should be allowed to protest during the anthem no matter what.

“I feel like he felt like the protest was necessary even though I felt he could have done it another way, and NFL players and I could care less about the uproar. I feel like they could have been more creative and not been such a follower and not protest by kneeling,” Nesbitt said.

Trey Shoaras, Senior, hangouts in the courtyard while sporting his bright blue and orange Nike shirt. Photo By: Leigha Crisp

Aareyana MCcall, Junior, enjoys listening to her music while rocking her pink Nike book-bag. Photo By: Leigha Crisp