The Pitchfork

Phone Home

Students Weigh In On Value of Purchasing Newest Technology with Release of iPhone XS, XS MAX

Austin Broach, senior, and Connor Jones, senior, are on their phones sharing videos in the library during lunch. 
Photo By Tanasia Himes

Austin Broach, senior, and Connor Jones, senior, are on their phones sharing videos in the library during lunch. Photo By Tanasia Himes

Abby Kovacs, Writer

Phone Home

Zach Mayer, sophomore, Takhari Kirby, sophomore, Nick Stuhn, sophomore, and Micheal Baker, sophomore are scrolling through social media and watching videos on their phones while at lunch. 
Photo By Tanasia Himes

The prices are high, and the sales are even higher. The all-new iPhone XS and XS Max are on the market waiting for eager customers. According to Apple, features are more superior than ever with its advanced performance and durable glass.

On September 21, Apple came out with a new iPhone that features an A12 bionic chip for higher intelligence, a larger display, and advanced facial recognition.

Apple claims that the new iPhones are the most intelligent phones available.

While Apple touts advanced features, Dani Deahl, a writer for The Verge states the features on the two new iPhones are minimal except for the size. The iPhone XS Max is 6.5 inches and the iPhone XS is 5.8 inches.

Some students agree that newer isn’t better.

“[The new iPhones] are not worth [the cost] because a max should not only be larger but include more features, especially if it costs a lot more than the iPhone XS,” Hannah Hastie, sophomore, said.

Despite their similarities, the iPhone XS Max is currently outselling the iPhone XS by three to four times according to Deahl.

However, some remain satisfied with the features of the previous models in spite of some limitations.

“[I have] the iPhone 8 plus. [The most important feature] is the camera, because it’s a dual camera and you get to take many different pictures with filters or without filters,” Tyrik Richardson, senior, said. “[I do not like] the storage [because] I had like 2,000 pictures on my phone, and [the phone] already started saying ‘Can’t upgrade anymore because the phone is full.’ I paid two dollars for the 300 extra gigabytes and now I have like 4,000 photos on my phone.”

According to an article on Money by Kerry Close, buying new technology can be addicting.

A neuroscientist named Sundeep Teki at Oxford University said that brains are genetically wired to seek needs like social status, and buying new technology releases a chemical called dopamine.

Hastie has experienced the thrill of having a new phone.

“I don’t buy new technology that often because I only buy it when I have a need for it,” Hastie said. “When I do [buy new technology] I am kind of addicted to it at first but after a while, the adrenaline kind of wears off and I know how to control my time spent using technology.”

While buying the newest technology can lead to immediate gratification, it might be better to wait it out.

“Technology is pretty great overall because it brings new ideas and it helps people communicate all over the world and brings us together,” Emilie Parham, junior, said. “It’s bad because it can be a waste of time [to buy new technology] if they’re just going to come out with newer products than before.”