The Pitchfork

Work, School, Sports, OH MY!

Students Share Their Challenges, Strategies Balancing Work, School, Sports

Abby Kovacs, Writer

Work, School, Sports, OH MY!

Left to Right
Precise Lee, junior
Markell Genwright,
senior
Julia Baker, senior
Destiny Harris, senior are getting their work done during free time

The student pecks away at his computer at 11:00 at night after getting home from work and football practice. He has four assignments due at 12:00, one from each class. His eyes are bloodshot from lack of sleep as he glares back and forth from the clock to his screen, endeavoring to finish everything on time.

Many students struggle to keep up their good grades, manage their job, and practice a sport they adore. Because of their packed schedule, many students get no free time between activities and school. Trying to keep up with everything, depression, and anxiety may linger in their minds; they work and work till the next day comes.

One study at Duke University done by Harris Cooper found that extensive work in high schoolers can cause physical and emotional fatigue while they can also be deprived of social skills as they focus more on getting their school work done. In 2013, a survey was conducted by  Harris Interactive Inc. which shows that out of 1,018 teenagers, more than one-third of the teenagers said they felt fatigued and tired due to stress.

“[I feel stressed] five or four days out of the week [because] I have very hard standards that I set for myself. I put a lot of passion into everything I do,” Madison Locklear, senior, said.

To strive for acceptable grades and managing their time wisely, students struggle with lots of stress. According to experts, students tend to overwork themselves, almost as much as adults and do not spare any time to be social or relax.

Some students claim that while they are working and practicing, they often miss out on some of life’s important events. They declare they are not able to go out and experience life while they are drowning in work.  

“Throughout the day, I probably have like two to three hours [of free time] I love having something to do because it gives me a sense of purpose I hate it because a lot of my friends go out and eat or go shopping and I am either working or doing something with my photography,” Locklear said.

Mostly all students have a negative opinion on homework. Extra work after coming from school can take up to a few minutes to a few hours while also dealing with their personal lives, according to students who do various activities to no after school activities.

Skipping one or two homework assignments can bring a student’s grade down tremendously. Some students believe extra work after school is a waste of time.

“I feel like [homework is] a waste of time because I don’t feel like we’re actually going to remember the next year what we learn, so I feel like it’s mostly just physical labor and just remembering,” Stephon Hernandez, senior, said.

Still, students who play a sport and only take three or fewer classes feel homework is unnecessary.

Studies that discuss the disadvantages of homework claim that having work out of class decreases the amount of free time for students. Many students state they get enough practice in class.

“I do just one activity which is basketball. I don’t like homework because I’d rather just do class work,” Markeya Reese, senior, said.

On the other hand, homework can provide extra practice for students struggling with the lesson. Homework can also get them into the habit of managing their time wisely and not procrastinating.

According to the study of a Duke University professor, students who actually do their homework have higher test scores than students who do not. However, students complain about the extensive work they are crowded with as they attempt to juggle after-school activities.

Teachers and students may have their different opinions but when it comes down to homework but it is a controversial idea according to the different ideas from teachers and students.

“As much as everybody hates homework at the end of the day, if you really think about it, it helps us a lot. It shows us how to work it out again and get the repetition in our brain and remember how to do it,” Locklear said.